VIRTUAL EVENT: Grand Central Terminal and the Secrets Within Webinar
*The event has already taken place on this date: Mon, 07/06/2020
Over the past century, Grand Central Terminal has captivated people from around the world with its architectural beauty, unique brick and mortar eateries, and endless transit possibilities. It’s also full of secrets — from being the target of a failed Nazi sabotage mission during WWII to containing hidden areas that keep it and its train traffic running each day. This is the complete history of the most perfect train terminal in the world.
Led by NYC Tour Guide Gary Dennis, our digital behind-the-scenes experience of this urban wonder of the world will include:
- The history of New York Central, the company that built Grand Central Terminal as well as the two preceding incarnations of the terminal built at the same location (third time's a charm!)
- The incredible story of how Grand Central Terminal escaped the wrecking ball, and what the Landmarks Preservation Commission, Former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and the United States Supreme Court had to do with it
- A virtual trip to the M42 Substation, the terminal's power station located 13 stories below ground, and details surrounding the failed mission by German spies during WWII to infiltrate the site
- A discussion around Track 61, a secret train track connecting Grand Central Terminal and the Waldorf-Astoria
- Mysteries of the terminal revealed including why there's a hole in the ceiling, how artists messed-up one of its most defining artworks, and how to find its hidden cocktail lounge
- Rare photos and videos from secret areas throughout the terminal, including the Tiffany Clock room, catwalks, and Operation Control Room
Afterward, we'll have a Q&A with Gary — any and all questions about Grand Central Terminal are welcomed and encouraged!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you're using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
"I am a native New Yorker, NY subway aficionado, and product of an insanely competitive family of "know it alls". My parents, younger brothers, and I all love New York City history, and to get some parental attention I had to be historically correct and entertaining at the same time.
"I love this city and all its peculiarities, and I love sharing it with newcomers, returning visitors or native New Yorkers— I'll tell you these and other fascinating things you never knew about this amazing place I call home because 'there are 8 million stories in the naked city' and I will share with you as many as possible."
*Times, dates, and prices of any activity posted to our calendars are subject to change. Please be sure to click through directly to the organization’s website to verify.